Adult education

The adult education service offers education at upper secondary level for adults.

Adult education in Trøndelag

The adult education service offers education at upper secondary level for adults. The education act (§4A-3) states: "Adults who have completed primary and lower secondary education or the equivalent but who have not completed upper secondary education and training have on application the right to take upper secondary education and training".

The first sentence applies to adults as of the year they become 25 years of age. Education for adults shall be adapted to individual needs. You should therefore be able to receive offers of training based on the education you have, as well as the prior learning you may have dedicated through participation in work and social life, courses, business education and the like.

Our education offerings can lead to professional letters, professional or academic qualifications. The offers are free and are mainly aimed at those who have not completed high school earlier.

Requirements for free upper secondary education

  • You have not completed upper secondary school
  • You will be 25 years of age or older
  • You have completed secondary school or equivalent
  • You live in the county of Trøndelag

How to apply

Adults who wish to apply for adult education, apply online here. Assessing your general qualifications and experience If you wish to use your work experience or upper secondary qualifications from your home country, you must be able to produce the required documentation in Norwegian or English. If you do not have such documentation, you can ask to have your previous qualifications and experience assessed by an Adult Education Centre.

Higher education

Once you have obtained your upper secondary qualifications you will be in a better position on the job market and can apply for higher education courses at vocational colleges, universities and university colleges. If you already hold higher education or university qualifications from another country, you will not be entitled to upper secondary education. You may also have your qualifications assessed by NUCAS or NOCUT (link below), or by the higher education college/university that you wish to apply for.

NOKUT: How do I apply for admission to study in Norway?

NUCAS: The Norwegian Universities and Colleges Admission Service

The Trøndelag County Council runs a total of 8 Adult Education Centres. The centres can help you with career advice, identifying your qualifications and upper secondary education. Contact your nearest Adult Education Centre for more information. If you are not sure which centre to approach, please contact: The Trøndelag County Council education department. Tel: (+47) 74 17 40 00

Sist oppdatert 09.02.2022